Studying in the United Kingdom is an amazing opportunity as you will be doing so in one of the best universities in the world. Truly, the United Kingdom has one of the best universities in the world.
By default, best things cost a lot. Universities in the UK are no exceptions to this. Their tuition fees are usually expensive for an average students, especially international students.
Studying in the UK is quite expensive and many international students need some form of financial aid to partially or fully cover their study and living expenses in the UK.
The good news, however, is that the British government and various public and commercial organizations plus some Universities offer scholarships and grants to international students for studies in the UK.
Still, it is not easy to get a scholarship in Britain, an international student must satisfy strict requirements or study in a specific program or course.
Here in this article, we would highlight some scholarship opportunities plus the requirements for International students for both undergraduate and graduate studies in the UK.
Some of the available scholarships in the UK for International students include the following:
- Chevening Scholarship
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship
- Imperial College London Ph.D. Scholarship
- GEMS International Undergraduate Scholarship
- University of East Anglia Scholarship
- Rotary Peace Fellowships
- Goldsmiths International Response Scholarship
- Dundee Global Excellence Scholarship
- Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence Scholarship
- Commonwealth Scholarships
#1. Chevening Scholarship
Chevening Scholarship is a fully funded master’s scholarship for international students in the UK.
Chevening gives future leaders and influencers from around the world a distinctive chance to grow academically, and professionally, network widely, experience UK culture, and create valuable relations with the UK.
This scholarship is funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), plus other organizations.
Chevening provides two kinds of awards:
- Chevening Scholarships.
- Chevening Fellowships.
Recipients are personally chosen throughout the world by British embassies and high commissions.
- University tuition fees.
- Monthly allowance.
- Travel costs to and from the UK.
- A homeward departure allowance.
- An arrival allowance.
- The cost of one visa application.
- Travel grants are offered to attend Chevening events in the UK.
- Proficiency in English language.
- Citizens must be from countries eligible for Chevening scholarships.
- Students must have completed an undergraduate degree by the time of application to enable them to obtain entry into a postgraduate program.
- Applicants should have two years of work experience at least.
- Applicants must have applied to three different eligible UK university programs and have obtained an unconditional offer from one of these choices.
#2. Gates Cambridge Scholarship
Gates Cambridge Scholarship is a scholarship fully funded for international students by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Founded in 2000, this scholarship is offered for master\’s and Ph.D. studies at the University of Cambridge.
- The University tuition fee.
- A maintenance allowance for a single student (£17,848 for 12 months at the 2021-22 rate ) – for Ph.D. students, the award is for up to 4 years
- Inbound visa costs and the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge.
- Single economy airfare at the beginning and end of the program.
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties etc
- Proficiency in English language.
- Every student around the world are eligible to apply
- Applicants must demonstrate academic excellence
- They should be committed to improving the lives of others.
- They are required to have leadership capacity.
- Students applying must be from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate program.
#3. Imperial College London Ph.D. Scholarship
Imperial College London Ph.D. scholarship is a scholarship for international students. The scholarship is fully funded.
At Imperial College, several scholarships are available in the Department of Chemical Engineering.
These scholarship awards are highly competitive and are given to students with good academic achievement.
- Tuition fees
- An annual payment of upkeep costs of £21,400.
- Required Languages: applicants are required to be proficient in English language.
- All Countries in the world are eligible.
- Also, students should apply and obtain a place of an offer in ICL, Department of Chemical Engineering.
- Applicants are expected to have acquired or heading for a First Class Honours degree at a Master\’s level.
#4. GEMS International Undergraduate Scholarship
GEMS International Undergraduate Scholarships are fully funded scholarships for international students from all over the world.
GEMS International Undergraduate Scholarship, funded by the University of Stirling, offers eligible students £2,000 per year (£8,000 over four years) towards the payment of annual fees.
- Arts and Humanities.
- Health Sciences and Sport.
- Natural Sciences.
- Social Sciences.
- The scholarship will cover £2,000 per year for payment of annual fees (£8,000 over four years).
- Proficiency in English language
- All countries in the world are eligible.
- Applicants must be tagged as an overseas scholar for tuition fee purposes.
- They must have been offered admission to an eligible undergraduate program at the University of Stirling.
- In addition, they must be a full-time international student.
#5. University of East Anglia Scholarship
University of East Anglia Scholarship is a full-fee scholarship for international students. This scholarship is given for master\’s studies.
- University of East Anglia Scholarship provides the recipient with £4000 funding.
- Proficiency in English language is required.
- Students from all countries if the world are eligible to apply.
- Applicants are selected based on academic excellence.
- Applicants are expected to clearly and briefly explain how studying at UEA will help them to make an outstanding contribution to their chosen field of study.
- They must have been offered and accepted a place on the course.
#6. Rotary Peace Fellowships
Rotary Peace Fellowships are scholarships for international students. These scholarships are only offered for master\’s studies and are fully funded.
These scholarships are awarded to about 150 students each year.
These fellowships are offered to obtain a Professional Development Certificate Program or Masters Degree Program related to peace and conflict resolution and prevention.
Since its inception in 2002, the Rotary Peace Centers have trained more than 1,400 fellows who now work in more than 115 countries, serving as leaders in government, the military, law enforcement, etc.
Institutions for Rotary Peace fellowship include:
- The University of North Carolina and Duke University at Chapel Hill, USA
- International Christian University, Japan
- University of Bradford, England
- University of Queensland, Australia etc.
- Tuition and fees.
- Round-trip transportation.
- Room and board.
- All internship and field-study expenses.
- Citizens from all countries in the world can apply.
- Proficiency in English and proficiency in a second language are strongly recommended.
- Impressive leadership skills are expected from applicants
- For Master’s degree applicants:
- They should have a minimum of three years of related full-time work or volunteer experience,
- Bachelor’s degree Certificate applicants must have a minimum of five years of related full-time work or volunteer experience, plus strong academic background etc.
#7. Goldsmiths International Response Scholarship
Goldsmiths International Response Scholarships are scholarships for international students.
This scholarship is funded by the Goldsmith University of London. It is offered for both undergraduate and master’s studies, and it is fully funded.
Courses covered are:
- Educational studies
- Politics and international relations etc.
- A full tuition fee waiver throughout each study year.
- £8,825 allowance.
- Accommodation fee for a single study room in Goldsmith’s residence hall (up to £200 per week).
- Proficiency in English language is required.
- Students from every country in the world is eligible to apply
- Applicants must have received an offer of a place in a full-time undergraduate or full-time postgraduate program.
- They must be declared as a refugee or asylum seeker on their applications, or have been granted limited leave as a result of asylum applications or human rights applications.
- They will also need to confirm academic excellence in their chosen fields of study.
- They must be attempting their first undergraduate/ postgraduate degree.
- Applicants must have a letter from the Government of the UK affirming refugee/asylum status in the UK.
#8. Dundee Global Excellence Scholarship
Global Excellence undergraduate and postgraduate Scholarships are partially funded scholarships given by the University of Dundee to international students who need financial aid to enable them study in the UK.
This scholarship is not just for international students but those who have shown excellence through their educational, voluntary, or extra-curricular activities.
- Global Excellence Scholarship will provide up to £5,000 per year (£15,000 for a 3-year degree, £20,000 for a 4-year degree, and £25,000 for a 5-year degree).
- Required Language: English.
- Students from all countries in the world are eligible to apply
- Every applicant must have received an offer of a place in a full-time undergraduate or full-time postgraduate program.
- They must have achieved either a UK 1st Class Honours degree or a degree considered equivalent to this level at the discretion of the University.
#9. Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence Scholarship
This scholarship is offered for master’s studies at the University of Bath, UK, for International students and aims to reward them for strong academic achievements.
It is partially funded by the University.
- 8 x £5,000 scholarships are available in the Faculty of Engineering and Design for tuition fees.
- 8 x £5,000 scholarships are available in the Faculty of Science for tuition fees.
- 8 x £5,000 scholarships are available in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences for tuition fees.
- Required Language: English
- Students from all countries in the world are eligible to apply.
- As an applicant, you must hold an offer from the University of Bath for a full-time master’s program.
- The course must be based in the Faculty of Engineering and Design, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, or Faculty of Science.
#10. Commonwealth Scholarships
Commonwealth Scholarships are given to talented people with the potential to make a positive impact in the world. The scholarships are partially or fully funded.
As part of the UK’s steady commitment to the Commonwealth, each year, around 800 students are given the chance to begin postgraduate programs with UK universities.
- You must reside permanently or be a citizen of a commonwealth nation.
- You need to have an undergraduate honors degree of at least upper second class (2:1).
- To be eligible, you must be incapable of affording study in the UK without a scholarship.
International students who desire to study in the UK but lack the funds to do so can, through any of the Scholarships enlisted above, make their dreams come true.