Ron Brown Scholar Program (RBSP) is a scholarship opportunities for intellectually gifted, community and public service-minded African Americans. The scholarship is currently open and is accepting applications from interested and qualified persons.
RBSP is committed to improve the lives of their scholars by accelerating their progress into impactful leadership roles and opportunities.
The Ron Brown Scholar Fund is a public 501c3 charity and administers the Ron Brown Scholar Program (RBSP). This program was established by Anthony M. Pilaro in 1996.
Award Value of Ron Brown Scholar Program
The Ron Brown Scholarship Program worth is $40,000 divided into $10,000 annually for four years.
Ron Brown Scholars receive $40,000 toward their college of choice, and are provided mentoring, leadership experiences, and service opportunities.
RBSP competitively awards 45 – 50 four-year $40,000 scholarships ($10,000 each year) to the most talented and economically-challenged high school seniors.
Eligibility Criteria for Ron Brown Scholarship Program
The following are the requirements for RBSP. Check if your eligibile for the scholarship before applying as applications from those who are not eligible will not be considered.
- Applicants for Ron Brown Scholarship Program must be Black/African American.
- They must excel academically.
- They must exhibit exceptional leadership potential: they must demonstrate a keen interest in public service, community engagement, business entrepreneurship and global citizenship
- They must participate in community service activities.
- Demonstrate financial need: they must be talented and economically-challenged high school seniors
- Be a US citizen or hold a permanent resident visa card.
- Be a current high school senior at the time of your application.
- NOTE: Current college students are not eligible to apply.
Partner School for Ron Brown Scholars Program
There is no particular partner school for RBSP scholarships. Recipients may use the renewable scholarships to attend an accredited four-year college or university of their choice within the United States
How to Apply for Ron Brown Scholarship
Interested and qualified persons should visit Ron Brown Scholar Program application website to apply
- Read the eligibility requirements to ensure that you’re qualified for RBSP scholarships program. Note that your application will not be considered if your not qualified.
- Visit RBSP scholarships application website. The link can be seen above
- Download the application form. Feel it it properly.
- Mail your completed application form to RBSP office. The address is Ron Brown Scholar Program, 1160 Pepsi Place, Suite 206, Charlottesville, VA 22901.
Application Closing Date
Unless otherwise stated, Ron Brown Scholarship Program opens August every year and remain open until January of the following year.
Deadline: January 9, 2022
Note that applications received after the closing date will not be considered. So, endeavour to submit your application before the date.
Ron Brown Scholarship Application Timeline
- August – January: Interested persons are expected to download, complete their application forms and submit to RBSP office. The application form download button can be seen above..
- November 1: Early Applicant Deadline: Interested applicants who complete their applications by November 1st will be considered for the Ron Brown Scholar Program and will be eligible to have their contact information forwarded to a select number of additional colleges and scholarship providers. Students who apply under this deadline must make the appropriate designation on their application. Applicants are still responsible for submitting materials to any colleges, universities and scholarship programs for which they are interested.
- January 9: Final postmarked deadline in order to be considered for the Ron Brown Scholar Program ONLY.
- January – March: Applications are reviewed by the Program staff.
- Mid-February: Semi-finalists are notified.
- Early March: Finalists are notified and invited to participate in a weekend selection process in Washington, D.C. at the expense of the Ron Brown Scholar Program. Finalists are interviewed by members of the RBSP National Selection Committee and are expected to participate in several activities during the weekend. Scholarship winners are selected on the basis of their application materials, interviews and participation in weekend activities.
- April 1: Winners in the competition are notified