Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, international organization that provides assistance to populations in distress, victims of natural or man-made disasters, and victims of armed conflict. They are currently seeking an Operational Research Epidemiologist to be based in Abuja (FCT), Nigeria.
- Job Title: Operational Research Epidemiologist
- Location: Abuja (FCT)
- Contract Period: 1 year Contract (Renewable)
The Operational Research Epidemiologist will implement and supervise epidemiological research in the mission according to MSF protocols, standards, and procedures to mitigate the effects of diseases where MSF is present. The candidate will coordinate the execution of research with partners, provide training and supervision to the team, review data collection and undertake analysis, and ensure the dissemination of findings to the community as described in the study protocol.
The key responsibilities of the Operational Research Epidemiologist include, but are not limited to:
- Defining objectives of operational research
- Developing research protocols and methodology
- Ensuring compliance with MSF laboratory protocols
- Coordinating the execution of research with partners
- Providing training to and supervising the team
- Reviewing data collection and undertaking analysis
- Writing a clear research report
- Managing data systems and ensuring accurate, high-quality databases
- Ensuring dissemination of findings to the community
- Overseeing the coordination and implementation of existing and planned operational research protocols across three projects in the mission
- Participating in the development of planned and new operational research
- Coordinating the submission of ethics applications
- Working with the mission epidemiologist/technical referents to develop, maintain, and review study databases
- Traveling to the field as required to provide support to the project in the implementation of research protocols
- Supporting the Mission Epidemiologist in creating a network in the area
- Education: Degree (or Master’s) in Epidemiology or Public Health with extensive training in statistics and epidemiology.
- Experience: Experience in field epidemiology. Desirable field experience with MSF or other NGOs, research experience is a plus. Desirable experience in viral haemorrhagic fever epidemiology and/or malnutrition projects.
- Languages: English essential, local language desirable.
- Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (word, excel). Essential knowledge of EpiInfo, SPSS, or analytical package.
- Competencies: Results and Quality Orientation L2. Teamwork and Cooperation L2. Behavioural Flexibility L2. Commitment to MSF Principles L2. Stress Management L3.
Interested candidates should send their Cover Letter, Resume, and copies of relevant Degrees, Certificates, and NYSC Certificate / Exemption to msfocb-n[email protected] on or before 9th April 2023.
Method of Application:
Interested candidates should send their application via email and submit hard copies to No 14 Tennessee Crescent, Off Panama, Maitama, Abuja (FCT).
This vacancy is open to all Nigerians. MSF is an equal opportunity employer, and both men and women are advised to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for an interview. MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.