The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below
- Job Title: Medical Doctor
- Location: Katsina
- Slots: 3 Openings
- Employment Type: Contract
Mission and Main Activities
- Serve as a dedicated medical doctor specializing in the admission, assessment, and ongoing care of children presenting with Severe Acute Malnutrition (SAM) and pediatric patients aged 0 to 59 months, which encompasses the crucial developmental stage up to 5 years of age.
- In this role, you will play a pivotal role in evaluating and managing the health and well-being of these young patients, providing them with comprehensive medical attention and personalized treatment plans tailored to their specific needs.
- Your expertise will contribute significantly to the early identification, intervention, and recovery of children facing nutritional challenges and other pediatric health concerns, ensuring that they receive the highest standard of medical care during this critical phase of their growth and development.
- Work as a medical doctor for admission and review of SAM and pediatric patients (0-59 months) or below 5 years
- Apply specialized medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevent illnesses in pediatric patients under the age of 5. Conduct both outpatient and inpatient consultations, adhering to ALIMA protocols at the designated duty station.
- Communicate clearly with young patients and their families about their health conditions, providing age-appropriate explanations of the recommended treatments. Ensure that parents or guardians have a comprehensive understanding of the available treatment options and potential outcomes
- Monitor the progress of hospitalized pediatric patients through daily visits, consultations, and examinations. Prescribe treatments in line with national guidelines and ALIMA protocols, make decisions regarding discharge or transfer to other pediatric departments while collaborating with fellow pediatricians, and keep families informed about the child’s progress.
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive patient records, documenting the final diagnosis at the time of discharge, which will be recorded in the praxis system.
- Participate in continuous training sessions with the multidisciplinary medical team to enhance the quality of care provided to pediatric patients.
- Adhere to and implement all ALIMA medical protocols, ensuring strict compliance with universal precautions at all times. Mitigate bio-hazard risks and enhance infection control practices. Safeguard the confidentiality of patients’ medical information.
- Assist or perform emergency pediatric procedures, such as minor surgical interventions, under the supervision of senior pediatricians, while adhering to ALIMA’s protocols. Accurately document operative notes following each procedure.
Experience and Requirements
- MBBS with full registration with the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.
- Experience with medical international NGO, an asset
- Experience with pediatric patients below 5 years is an asset
- Team management and supervision skills
- Perfect knowledge of MS Office packages, especially Excel & Word
- Oral and written English is mandatory, fluency in Hausa essential
- Strong interpersonal skills, teamwork, active listening, and effective communication skills
- Cultural competency and patient advocacy
- Ability to work on initiative and adaptability to changing needs and situations
- Ability to work under pressure and calm emergency situations.
Application Closing Date
25th August, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: [email protected] using the position as the subject of the email.