It is our believe that before now, you must have applied and gotten admission to study in the United States of America.
We will therefore show you only how you can get a US student visa.
A student visa is a type of endorsement given to students to enable them travel and study in a different country other than theirs.
In the United States, you cannot be allowed to study without a student visa. That\’s to say, even if you get to the US using other visa type other than student visa, you will not be allowed to enroll in any formal school such as high school, private elementary school, university etc.
In summary, a student visa is that type of visa that permits foreign students to study in foreign countries.
In the United States, there are two types of students visas. The type you need is dependent on what and where you want to study. These are student\’s M and F visas.
F visa is for students who wish to travel to the United States to study in any of the following schools:
- High school
- Private elementary school
- Other academic institution
Meanwhile, M visa is for foreign students who wish to travel to the US to attend vocational or other recognized non-academic institution other than a language training program.
How to get a US student visa
Follow the following steps to get a US student visa to travel and study in the United States of America:
- Apply for a student visa online
- Print the application form confirmation page
- Schedule an interview with the consular officers
- Go for your interview
- Pay the necessary fees:
- nonrefundable visa application
- visa issuance fee
2. Print the application form confirmation page. You will be needing this confirmation page during your interview session.
3. Schedule an interview with the consular officers.
Interviews are generally not required for individual who are 13 years and younger and those who are 80 years and older.
4. Pay the necessary fees.
You may be required to:
- pay a nonrefundable visa application fee.
- Pay visa issuance fee (where applicable) after your visa must have been granted.
Both visa application and issuance fees amounts vary and depend on your country.
5. On your interview date, go and prove why you need to be granted a student visa.
For the interview, you will be required to go with some documents.
Required documents for a US student visa
After a successful application for a US student visa, you will be invited for an interview. On the interview date, you will be required to come with some documents.
The following are the required documents for a US student visa interview:
- A valid passport: the passport\’s validity should be at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States. (There may be exceptions).
- Nonimmigrant Visa Application form DS-160 confirmation page.
- Your application fee payment receipt; where you are required to pay before your interview.
- Your photo: you are expected to upload your photo while filling form DS-160. Where the photo upload failed, you would take one alongside with you on your interview date. The photo must be in the required format (see photograph requirements for a US student visa application).
- Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students, Form I-20 or Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students, Form I-20: you will get form I-20 from your school. They will send it to you. You and your school official will be required to sign form I-20. You will be required to register in Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS). People you may need to travel with you (your spouse and/or minor children) will each receive an individual form I-20.
- Transcripts, school certificate, and standardized test scores required by your U.S school.