Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
- Position Title: Assistant Technical Officer – Pharmacy
- Locations: Maiduguri, Nigeria
- Time type: Full time
- Job requisition id: Requisition – 2023201255
- Supervisor: Technical Officer, Health, and Nutrition Services
Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance. These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity. FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and responded to the humanitarian crisis in the NE for five years. In anticipation of a new project, and in support of ongoing ones, FHI360 seeks an experienced Assistant Technical Officer – Pharmacy to support our response to the humanitarian crisis in NE Nigeria.
The ATO – Pharmacy will prepare medications by reviewing and interpreting physician orders, and dispensing medications by compounding, packaging, and labeling pharmaceuticals.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Works as part of a multidisciplinary team of staff to provide high quality patient care to an extremely vulnerable population.
- Carrying out inspection duties as provided for under the Poisons and Pharmacist’s Act, the Dangerous Drug Act and the Food and Drug Decree and other operational legislations
- Dispensing prescribed medications to in-and-outpatients whilst providing accurate medication advice.
- Maintaining stores and keeping relevant store records.
- Preparing extemporaneous medicaments such as mixtures, lotions, ointments, syrups, etc.
- Provides technical information and advice to other health professionals.
- Ensuring proper storage and issuance of all drugs over the duration of the project.
- Participating in routine quality control audits of all drugs in stock.
- Adheres to the relevant Code of conduct and ethics
- Works with technical support and M&E teams to collect appropriate baseline data over the life of the project
- Compiles and submits periodic reports
- Ensures adequate infection prevention and control standards are maintained at all times.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
Sound knowledge of inventory control systems. Experience must include managing health commodity logistics information systems, including forecasting/quantification of medical Commodities. Knowledge of the key principles and approaches to health systems strengthening. Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding integrated health programs. Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision. High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English and Hausa communications, including presentation and training skills. Understanding of Kanuri Language is an asset. Well-developed computer skills.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science Pharmacy, Doctor of Pharmacy, or its equivalent with at least 1-3 years post National Youth Service experience managing a PSM cycle, including rational health commodities selection, forecasting /quantification, quality assurance spanning the PSM cycle, warehousing/storage, distribution, and LMIS.
- Must have a practicing license
- Experience working with a humanitarian organization
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health system and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should